Adoption encouragement

Last night I had the opportunity to take 4 of my kids to speak at a foster/adoptive support group. Chosen Ones support group is one of the larger support groups in the DFW area and are a great resource for area families. So my kids were invited to come and speak about being in foster care and being adopted as teens. They all four told their story of being in foster care and then about getting adopted. Then they allowed everyone to ask questions. The questions went on for some time and it was a great group.

By the time my children finished speaking and answering questions I sounded much like Mother Theresa to these people. I sounded like the perfect Mom baking the perfect cookies while listening to all of their problems, praying over every situation and loving unconditionally all with a smile on my face.

When it was question time and even after the meeting people kept asking me how do you do it. I only have 1 or 3 or 6 kids and can't seem to keep up with them.

It is honesty time, time to turn back in the crown my children so firmly placed on my head last night.  What my kids told you is true I do have a strong faith. But I have a strong faith because God is the only thing that has got me through this crazy life. and the only thing that keeps me going most days. They didn't tell you about the time outs. (Not theirs but mine) The times I have had to removes myself from the situation because I was not the perfect Mother.  (Which has been often) Yes I do bake cookies often and yes they are pretty good. But a lot of times I bake cookies because my kids had to eat a sandwich or Ramin noodles the night before because I was taking someone to the psych hospital at dinner time. My kids love me but they do not always like me, as it should be because I feel the same way. I was very humbled last night as they were speaking.

So please don't look at me as a hero. Remember these kids have come from hard places and the love and perseverance you show is what makes the difference. They need to know that you are in this for the long haul. I was reminded once by a wonderful foster Mom that it is not our job to fix these kids. It is just our job to introduce them to Jesus.
These kids are the real heroes. They have endured unspeakable horrors and been resilient and strong survivors. Willing and able to share their stories to help others.
Adoption is not for the faint of heart. I don't do this because I am a saint. I do it because I answered a calling and God helps me through every day. So pray often, find support, don't be so hard on yourself,  love unconditionally, look for the positive. Call me if you need to!

Comments