Using Essential Oils safely


There is a lot of information on essential oils on the internet. A lot of people are turning to them as an alternative to medications. I to am a big fan of essential oils. I hate the psychotropic medications that they put children on and was looking for a safe alternative to meds. I learn more because I have so many children with so many diagnosis. I took a class in Aroma Therapy and just completed my certification as a Certified Clinical Aroma Therapist. 

I love being able to mix up what I need when I need it for my family. However in taking this class I discovered the dangers in essential oils. Essential oils are very strong and can be toxic, especially to small children. Please be careful when using oils. 

I see many mixes on pintrest with no warnings. Many families use Lavender for their children (I used to use it also) it is a wonderful and universal oil and help in relaxing and sleep. However you are not suppose to use lavender if you take other medications because it negates the medications.
Here are just a few things to remember when using essential oils:

 

Safety Measures

1. If essential oil droplets accidentally get into the eye (or eyes) a cotton cloth or similar should be imbued with a fatty oil, such as olive or sesame, and carefully swiped over the closed lid.18 And / Or, Immediately flush the eyes with cool water.
2. If an essential oil causes dermal irritation, apply a small amount of vegetable oil or cream to the area affected and discontinue use of essential oil or product that has caused dermal irritation.
3. If a child appears to have drunk several spoonfuls of essential oil, contact the nearest poison control unit (often listed in the front of a telephone directory). Keep the bottle for identification and encourage the child to drink whole or 2% milk. Do not try to induce vomiting.19

Comments