Seven Years Later

 
It has been 7 years this month since my last blog post. The meaning of the number 7 in the bible is completion and wholeness.  In that 7 years we did not quit or complete our extreme parenting; I just took a 7-year hiatus from blogging about it. Still parenting, not still adopting. Early in our foster/adopt parenting life we had planned to adopt one child. A few children later we would say ok this is the last one. God laughed, and we finally learned to say when asked "how many are y'all planning on adopting" we changed our answer from this is the last one to God will let us know when the last one is. Well God has told us that we have done the last one. That was three years ago, and she was number 20. 

What has been going on the last 7 years?  A lot of our kids graduated, some got married, several gave me grandbabies, some in and out of our home (mainly in) some were in and out of jail. We lost one in a tragic auto accident. We sold our home and moved into town. I worked for several years in social work, then we opened a coffee shop/bakery where we hired teens aging out of foster care. We did that for 3 years and now I'm back into social work. 

People continually ask me when I plan on retiring and my answer to that is when God says I am done. 

Proverbs 3:27 If you have something an there is someone in need of that thing, give it to them. 

I believe that God is talking about more than our money. I do not have money, education, or anything else of much value to people. But I do know how to be a mom so that I give freely. 

I have said many times that adoption and foster care is not for the faint at heart. Well, that has not changed as they have grown up, it's just different. Our children are mostly adults now. Some still struggle with life choices and the trauma that they have endured. God never says it will be easy. John 16:33 In Christ, you have been made for hard things. 

Our house seems to have revolving doors as they move out then go through a tough patch and move back home. When one gets on their feet to move out another is usually waiting in the wings to move back in. This has been a lifelong commitment, and we are good with that. God gives us strength daily. Is there times we want to quit? yes weekly and sometimes daily. Then we try to remind each other that God probably would feel that way with us as well. 

I have learned a lot in 7 years and it is now time to share my testimony and what God has done for me. So that will be my next blog. You will see what made me choose this crazy life.


Comments